If you find you don’t spend as much time by the pool, it may be that the area feels dated and boring. Boost property value and your enjoyment of the space by improving the pool. Here are a few ideas to upgrade your swimming pool and turn the backyard into a more inviting space for family and friends.
Improve the Pool Deck
The wooden deck around or near your pool has probably seen its share of parties, kids, and pets. Exposure to the elements can be especially harsh, depending on your local climate. Here are a few ways to improve the deck.
- Sand and re-stain the wood. Apply a coat of weatherproofing sealant to better protect the materials.
- Replace loose fasteners with new ones.
- Inspect the deck for damaged or rotting wood. Replace the boards where necessary.
Install Underwater Lighting
Underwater lighting is a great way to accentuate the features in your pool. It can also create a fun atmosphere, which is perfect for parties and entertaining. Underwater lights boost safety by providing better visibility in the water.
Add a Waterfall
A waterfall or fountain has several benefits, both recreational and aesthetic. Water features add interest and promote good water circulation. Be creative with how you integrate a water feature, but there are things you’ll want to consider before starting your project.
- Learn whether your filter system can accommodate a new addition. If it can’t, you might need to buy a new pump or upgrade components of your current filter system.
- Determine how much space you have for the water feature. Choose the fountain or waterfall that works best in a pool of your size.
- Decide what you want to spend on the project. If you want a rock waterfall with LED lighting, get a quote and create a budget.
Upgrade Your Swimming Pool with Underwater Speakers
If you have a pool, you already know it’s a fun place to entertain family and friends. A good speaker system will improve sound quality at any event. For a unique pool experience, add some underwater speakers.
Sound travels through the water, so the speakers will work even if they aren’t close to the surface. Install them on the bottom of the pool or attached to an underwater shelf. Speakers take up very little space and won’t get in the way as you enjoy the pool.
Upgrade Your Swimming Pool with Underwater Seating
Another fun upgrade is to install seats in the water. Add a bench, lounge chair, or hammock. Some companies manufacture bar stools for the pool using materials that can withstand the elements and pool chemicals.
A Fire Pit Adds Warmth
Add a fire pit to the pool area to provide a place to warm up after an evening swim. Purchase a fire pit at your local hardware store or build your own. Some models are propane-powered, and others are wood-burning. You’ll find fire bowls, tables, and chimeneas to add warmth and interest to the space.
This list of upgrades offers ideas for making your swimming pool more enjoyable. Starting with one or two improvements will make a dramatic difference to your backyard.